Sunday, March 6, 2011

A couple of new photos

I've had the color transparency and b&w negative in my files for a long time. They are both so big I had no way to scan them. I had to borrow a light box for another project and thought I'd try taking a digital photo of them on the light box.

Not perfect, but it worked ok.

My guess is the first photo was taken the day after the fire. For those who remember the original grandstands, this is a sad photo. What amazes me is the total devastation. Just no remains of anything. A sad photo, but a part of the history.


The other photo is from the high banked track. Hard to tell exactly, but it has to be between 1970 and 1972. The field is lined up on the front straight ready to go. Most likely for the Southern 300. Except for 1970 even the Cup races were held at night. I like it because you can see Cascade Plunge, the Skyliner, and Fair Park, plus most of what is now called the "Expo Center". Not many photos exist from this angle. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Russ--I miss the blogs. I know they have to take some time to create, but hope you are well and will post more as time permits.

    ReplyDelete