Monday, February 7, 2011

Memorabilia

Today's entry will be a little different. There are lots of the wonderful old souvenir programs floating around. Let's take a look at some of the other items that have been used to promote the track through the years. You can click on any item to see it enlarged.

Here's the 1959 Rule Book:





These handy little pocket schedules were printed up for quite a few years:









Another item I thought was cool was this dog tag. They did those two or three years and they always had the defending track champion on them. I think I have one with Darrell around here somewhere.


Then there were the yearly ticket brochures. Some of these had almost as much information as the programs.

Here's the one for the first Nashville 420 held on the high bank track in 1970:




One from 1973. After the season, I wrote in the winners to each race that was highlighted.





For the 1977 season:




Order tickets here for the 1978 Music City 420:



This one gets defending 420 winner Dale Earnhardt on the cover:



The order form for the last Spring 420 in 1984:






 This one can't already be 25 years old!





Here's a patch worn by officials and drivers in 1990:


Here are two entry blanks for the Grand National 400 / 420 races, 10 years apart. Winner's share just a little more than doubled, but the total purse took quite a jump.






Let me know if you're interested in this kind of stuff. I know there is a lot more stuck around in drawers. And if anyone has something cool they'd like to share, send me a scan and I'll be glad to post it and give you credit.

5 comments:

  1. Russ, what's a good email address for you? I have a couple of things that may be of interest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cant even begin to get enough...Thank you,Russ!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would be interested in buying some old fairgrounds speedway memorabilia... Is any of the stuff I'm looking at for sale?

    ReplyDelete