Tuesday, February 22, 2011

University of Nascar - Nashville campus

I don't intend for this site to get political. I envision it as a place for younger folks to come and see how things got to where they are and maybe learn a few things. To see the foundation. And for old far, uh, more mature people to maybe relive some fond memories and hopefully go, "Oh yeah, I had forgot all about that, but I was there. I remember that race / day / car / fight."

But I do feel the need to make this point.

The list time I looked at these numbers was 2004. And I took a look today.

In the 2004 Daytona 500, 20 years after the last Cup race at the Fairgrounds, 32 out of the 43 drivers who raced in the 500 had raced at the Fairgrounds. All but 11 drivers, 20 years after it left the Cup schedule.

From the 2011 Daytona 500, I can document 22 drivers of the 43 best stock car drivers in the nation who took the green flag who raced at least one time at the Fairgrounds, including winner Trevor Bayne. Nearing 30 years after its final Cup race, the Fairgrounds is still relevant in the current racing scene.

One final stat. (Hey, it's what I do.) Nine of the 12 Daytona 500 winners since 2000 have raced at the Fairgrounds. Only Ward Burton, Jeff Gordon, and Ryan Newman never turned a lap in competition at the Fairgrounds, as far as I can tell.

What that tells me is, if you want to get your PhD in racing, and you're attending the University of Nascar, you'd still better take some advanced classes at the Nashville Fairgrounds campus.

Nascar wannabes huh?

We now return you to your historical Fairgrounds blog.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Great stats! And I'm thinking those numbers are just the drivers. It's probably impossible to calculate but wonder how many crew chiefs, pit crew members, "crew back at the shop", NASCAR officials, etc., have been thru the Fairgrounds Speedway too!

    ReplyDelete